Art and Musical Events
|The San Antonio Symphony performs at the JCC
The JCC has hosted a variety of local artists, including Allison Gregory, Kori Ashton, and Glen Andrews II, as well as a vast array of musical events featuring acclaimed musicians, award winning pianists, and the San Antonio Symphony, among others, to enlighten, enrich, and entertain the community.
- The J Goes to the McNay for a performance of Rachel Calof: A Memoir with Music | Thursday, December 11 | 6:30 PM | McNay Art Museum
At the age of 18 Rachel Calof, a Jewish picture bride, emigrated from Russia to North Dakota to make a new life as a homesteader. In a twelve-by-fourteen foot shack, Rachel and her husband Abraham make a home with her in-laws, her husband’s brother, two dozen chickens, and a cow. Enjoy this one-woman show with other JCC members!
Space is limited. Fee: McNay and JCC members free, seating is first come, first served. Register online or call 210-805-1768. Registration deadline: December 10.
Rachel Calof: A Memoir with Music is generously underwritten by Jane Stieren Lacy.
- Strauss Festival Panel Discussion & Chamber Concert | Sunday, January 4 | 6:00 PM | JCC Holzman Auditorium | FREE
Strauss had a relationship of convenience with Adolf Hitler, purportedly in the hopes to promote German art, culture, and music. To gain an in-depth understanding of how Strauss’ personal choices during the 1930s and 1940s left an impression on, not only the music he composed, but also on his legacy as a man, join San Antonio Symphony Music Director Sebastian Lang-Lessing, Steven G. Kellman Ph.D., professor of comparative literature at UTSA, Maxine Cohen, Holocaust educator and David S. Gross, president of the San Antonio Symphony as they discuss and take questions from the audience.
The evening will be complemented by performances from musicians of the San Antonio Symphony previewing works of Strauss that are to be performed as part of the festival. This event is free and open to the community. Please RSVP online or by calling 210-302-6820.
Presented in part by the San Antonio Symphony and Texas Public Radio.
- Arts San Antonio presents Maya Beiser | Thursday, January 22 | 7:30 PM | Aztec Theatre - special 20% discounted ticket price for JCC Members.
Purchase your tickets today!
- Images of the Art of Esther Nisenthal Krinitz exhibition
- The San Antonio Symphony's sneak preview of the 2014 Dvorak Festival
- Israeli pianist Ishay Shaer
- The San Antonio Symphony
For more information about our Music or Art events, please contact Aliyah Kuchinsky at (210) 302-6827.