Lifeguard Instructor Course
- Apr. 13 | 9am-5pm & Apr. 16 & 17 | 5-10pm
- $300 M ($325 NM)
- Be at least 17 years old on or before the last day of the instructor course;
- Possess one of the following:
a) current American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED;
b) current American Red Cross certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid and
c) either an American Red Cross certificate for CPR/AED for the Professional Rescuer
d) an American Red Cross certificate for CPR/AED for Lifeguards;
e) an equivalent certificate from another organization.
- Swim 300 yards while demonstrating continuous breath control and rhythmic breathing. Candidates may swim using the front crawl, breaststroke or a combination of both, but swimming on the back or side is not allowed. Swim goggles may be used.
- Tread water using only the legs for 2 minutes. Candidates should place their hands under their armpits.
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds. Starting in the water, swim 20 yards on the surface. The face may be in or out of the water. Swim goggles are not allowed.
- Surface dive, feet-first or head-first, to a depth of 7 to 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object. Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point with both hands holding the object. The face is kept at or near the surface so that breathing is possible. Candidates should not swim the distance under water.
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps.
- Perform CPR (all ages), two-person removal, in-line stabilization, victim recognition and appropriate rescue techniques as pre-course scenarios call for.
For more information about this training course, please contact Tracy Schuleman at (210) 302-6909.