The JCC Block and Dreeben School for Young Children, providing care and education for children ages 6 weeks-4 years old, is the only Jewish NAEYC-accredited program in San Antonio. Our purpose of education at the JCC’s Block and Dreeben School for Young Children is to develop young children’s minds, bodies and emotions, and to produce individuals who are self-directed, lifelong learners by:
- Fostering Jewish identity through an experiential approach to Judaism.
- Generating a relaxed Jewish atmosphere which provides openness, spontaneity, creativity, joy and love.
- Providing an array of stimulating activities to promote aesthetic and cultural awareness, academic readiness, motor development, and social skills.
- Encouraging independence, a feeling of self-confidence, respect for others and a sense of belonging in a group.
- Offering love and support to each child and each family.
Each day we provide a supportive, nurturing environment which promotes the emotional, social, physical, cognitive, and spiritual development of young children. Our program offers a child-centered curriculum which is based on children’s interests while promoting academic development. We are inspired by the values and philosophy of the early childhood programs of Reggio Emilia, Italy where the child is seen as a capable and competent learner and the environment is filled with beautiful natural materials which stimulate learning. We provide hands-on-experiences which promote creativity, discovery, exploration, problem-solving, and critical thinking skills.
Each classroom serves as a laboratory for a growing child’s experiments in the mastery of new skills. Our program encourages active exploration of the environment, from the youngest child learning how to crawl across an open floor space to the oldest investigating the physics and chemistry of the world around him. We promote curiosity, individual interests, creativity, problem-solving, literacy, and the development of self-esteem through play, the vehicle by which children learn and develop.
Although you do not have to be Jewish to enroll in our program, membership to the JCC in a Family Category is required.
For information about registering your child(ren), please call the main phone number listed below.
- Main Phone Number: 210-302-6846
- Days & Hours: Monday-Friday, 7am-6pm
- Block and Dreeben Administrative Staff