American Red Cross Lifeguard/WSI Classes at the JCC
Interested in a great summer job or challenging career as a professional lifeguard? Through videos, group discussion, and hands-on practice, you’ll learn teamwork, rescue, and surveillance skills, First Aid and CPR/AED, and other skills you need to work as a professional lifeguard. The purpose of the American Red Cross Lifeguarding course is to provide entry-level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize and respond to aquatic emergencies and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel take over.
American Red Cross Lifeguard Class
This class is a 28-hour, 35-minute course and participants must attend all days scheduled. The fee includes all materials for the class. Students who successfully complete this course will receive a certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED which is valid for 2 years. Must be at least 15 years old on or before the final day of course.
Fee: $240 | JCC Member $200
All participants must successfully complete the following prerequisites the 1st day of class, which includes a Swim Test:
1. Swim 300 yards continuously, using these strokes in the following order:
- 100 yards of front crawl using rhythmic breathing
- 100 yards of breaststroke using pull, breathe, kick and glide sequence
- 100 yards of either the front crawl or breaststroke
2. Starting from the deck, enter the water and swim 20 yards using front crawl or breast stroke. Surface dive between 7-10 feet of water, retrieve a 10 lb object, return to the surface, swim back 20 yards back to the starting point with the object and both hands on the object. Place the object on the deck and then exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes with arms up (using legs only).
Class Dates: Choice of 5 sessions, must be able to attend all days & times of session.
I. Sun., February 24 - 9am-6pm & Mon. - Thurs., February 25-28 - 5-10pm
II. Sun., March 17 - 9am-6pm. & Mon. - Thurs., March 18-21 - 5-10pm
III. Sun., March 31 - 9am-6pm. & Mon. - Thurs., April 1-4 - 5-10pm
IV. Sun., April 14 - 9am-6pm. & Mon.-Thurs., April 15-18 - 5-10pm
V. Sat., June 8 - 9am-6pm. & Mon.-Thurs., June 10-13 - 5-10pm
Swim Test will be conducted at 9am on first day of each session at JCC.
Deep water skills & testing Tues. & Thurs., 5pm at St. Mary’s University Natatorium.
American Red Cross Water Safety Instructor Class - WSI
You will have to do an online orientation to the ARC Swim Programs prior to class. The link will be provided to you before the class start date. This class is a 25-hour course and participants must attend all days scheduled. Must be at least 16 years old on or before the final day of course. This class certifies the participants to teach the Learn to Swim program, pre-school and parent-child aquatics. The fee includes all materials for the class and American Red Cross certification, if the participant scores an 80% or better on all test. Please bring laptop or tablet with the downloaded materials.
Fee: $300 | JCC Member $250
Class Dates: All classes held at the Barshop JCC. Classes begin in spring 2019.
I. Sun., April 28th 9-5pm. & Mon– Thurs, April 29th-May 2nd 5-10pm
II. Sun., June 2nd 9-5pm. & Mon. – Thurs ., June 3rd - 6th 5-10pm
Lifeguard Review Certification
For Current Lifeguards whose certification has not expired by the class date of the Lifeguard Review Course.
Proof of current certification must be provided when registering for this class and must be presented to the instructor on the first day of the class. If you do not have current certification by the first class, you will not be allowed to participate in the course and will not be eligible to receive a refund. You are required to bring a CPR pocket mask to class. If you do not have one, they are available for purchase from the instructor. The American Red Cross has implemented new requirements for lifeguards who were certified prior to 2017. Students who successfully complete this course will receive a certificate for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED which is valid for 2 years.
Fee: $135 | JCC Member $110
Class Dates: Sundays at JCC, Tuesdays at St. Mary’s University Natatorium, except for the April 9-11 class which will meet at St. Mary’s University on Thursday.
I. Sun., March 24th 9-5pm & Tues., March 26th 5-10pm.
II. Tues.-Thurs. April 9th-11th 5-10pm. (Tues/Wed at JCC-Thurs. at St. Mary’s)
III. Sun., May 5th 9-5pm & Tues. May 7th 5-10pm.
IV. Sun., May 19th 9:00-5:00pm & Tues. May 21st 5:00pm -10pm.
Transfers to another Lifeguard/WSI/Re-certification class (if available) will incur a $10 transfer fee. Cancellation will incur a $50 cancellation fee. No refunds given for cancellations made less than 10 day prior to start date of a class.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do Classes take place?
All Classes will be held at the JCC, except for two days of the lifeguard class (Tues. & Thurs.), which will be held at St. Mary’s University Natatorium, 1 Camino Santa Maria St, 78228 for deep water skills and testing.
What should I bring to Every Class?
- Swimsuit & Towel, dry change of clothes
- Sunscreen, sunglasses
- Pen/laptop/tablet – be prepared to take notes
- Bring lunch or money for lunch for Sunday class
- A current e-mail address. The American Red Cross sends the certifications electronically to those participants who successfully pass the course. It will take approximately 2 weeks after the last day of class for certifications to be sent.
- All materials will be issued the First Day of Class – Download lifeguarding manual or the Water Safety Instructor (WSI) materials.
- Lifeguard Review class participants are required to bring a CPR pocket mask to class. If you do not have one, they are available for purchase from the instructor.
If you have any questions regarding any of these courses, please contact Tracy Schuleman at 210-302-6909.
WE'RE HIRING LIFEGUARDS!
The JCC's Pool Needs YOU: we're looking for certified Lifeguards and Swim Instructors to spend the summer with us. If you're 16 years and older, we'd love to chat!